The goals we intend to achieve through the MOVIO project include:
- Creation of an open-source software that can help cultural institutes stage high-quality digital exhibitions and thematic itineraries, while facilitating the recovery of available yet underused digital contents
- Creation of a software in which technology is put in the service of enhancing contents, instead of vice versa
- Improving the IT literacy of all professional figures involved in the promotion and enhancement of cultural heritage
- Staging of two online digital exhibitions that can serve as best practices for all other cultural institutions interested in pursuing similar initiatives
- Staging, over the course of the project, of other digital exhibitions put together by cultural institutions that took part in training activities sponsored by MOVIO
- Making it possible for very small cultural institutions – such as minor museums, non-profit cultural associations, etc. – to use a high-quality kit to make available online their cultural heritage, which often suffers from very little visibility due to limited staff, funds, and resources.
- Online dissemination of digital cultural content related to renowned masterpieces, and more importantly to little-known or “invisible” cultural heritage, through a variety of digital objects (text, images, audio, videos, 3D, animation, etc.) and technologies that encourage interaction with users.
- Providing access to cultural content on the part of remote users, at any time and from anywhere, and encouraging, whenever possible, the direct involvement of users in enriching the digital cultural content provided by the institutions.
The kit will take into account the findings of the publication titled Guidelines for staging online virtual exhibitions, a major achievement borne out of a cooperative effort involving the Central Institute for the Union Catalogue of Italian Libraries (ICCU) and the Central Institute for Archives (ICAR), in collaboration with the Technological Observatory for Cultural Heritage and Activities (OTEBAC). The publication aims to illustrate the state of the art in the field of online virtual exhibition based on the concrete experiences of various Italian institutes and an analysis of similar initiatives on the international stage.